Friday, September 23, 2005

A Night At The Great Frederick Fair

Nightengale and I look forward to the Great Frederick Fair every year with simmering anticipation. The night air, the smells of carnival food and the dirt track, the shrieking of kids on crazy rides, the incessant cries of carnies hawking games of chance - we just love it! For me, the memories of county fairs gone by are reborn each fall and I truly enjoy sharing these times with my daughter.

We had two of Nightengale's friends from school along for the evening, and due to some light sprinkles at dusk we pretty much had the place to ourselves! Right off the bat we scored corn dogs, pizza, funnel cakes and other assorted delicacies (thank the gods for pepcid!) and the kids purchased unlimited ride bracelets. You know what that means! They ran themsleves to exhaustion trying to do every thrill ride on the midway, and I had a great time watching. For my part, I revisited my personal favorites: the Himalaya and the Scrambler. Using our FRS radios, I let the young ladies wander the rides (13 is the age when cheesing around with your friends is a big deal, after all) while I contented myself with the agricultural displays and draught horse pulling.

We reunited at various times throughout the evening, and as we made our way back home to Virginia at midnight I was humming along to the radio - my 3 audience members were sound asleep in the back seat. Mission accomplished!

They say that you can't go back... but that sure hasn't ever stopped me from trying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home