Sunday, April 30, 2006

London: Harrods, The Thames, Greenwich, and Parliament

The day broke in bright sunlight today, and I decided to visit the areas that interested me the most: Harrods and Greenwich. I had another amazing English breakfast at the hotel and hailed a taxi to Harrods in Knightsbridge. I had seen clips on television of Harrods before, but nothing could prepare me for the delights inside!

I am an avid chef, so visiting the food galleries was a real treat. Aisle upon aisle, room after room of amazing food... I think on my next visit I'll rent an apartment so I can cook after a shopping spree at Harrods!

Next, I hailed another taxi and was treated to a lengthy narrative by the cabbie as we made our way to Victoria Embankment, passing through Trafalgar Square and past Buckingham Palace. Once we arrived, I joined one of the Thames river boats for an afternoon cruise to Greenwich - which I highly recommend. The onboard guide was very entertaining and informative.

On arrival at Greenwich, I walked the town and took in the sights. Lunch was fish and chips, of course, and I couldn't have been happier as I toured the world famous Cutty Sark and Greenwich Market.

The journey back was quiet - no guide this time - and I enjoyed a peaceful trip back to Westminster. In the setting sun, I walked along the Thames to the London Eye, then crossed the river to see Big Ben and the Parliament buildings. Very impressive, to say the least.

My last evening in London was a quiet one. I dined in, enjoying excellent prime rib from room service, and I went to bed early since I still had one more thing to do in the morning before heading to the airport: Oxford Street!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home